Browse by Category:
Network With Us:
Tree Planting/Language of Flowers
How to Plant a Tree Seedling
Our tree seedlings contain three main parts these will be referred to throughout the following page. They are the stem, the root plug, and the root collar. The stem is the part of the tree that will remain above the ground once the tree is planted. It contains the woody stem of the tree as well as the needles. The root plug is the part of the tree that contains the roots as well as the soil that the tree is grown in. The root plug will be entirely underground when the tree is planted. Where the root plug and stem connect is called the root collar. The root collar will be just visible above the ground after planting.
If you can't plant it right away your tree can be stored in a cool environment for a few days up to a week of so, just kept the root plug moist. If you have received a tree and are unable to plant it outside within a few days you can follow the planting directions ; plant the tree in an indoor pot ( at least 10" diameter with good drainage) in sterile soil, in a cool area away from direct heat until you are able to plant the tree outside. Make sure you keep it moist but not wet( avoid over watering because it may cause molding ), water when the soil starts to dry a bit.
- Think about where you want to plant your tree. Remember that while your tree may be small now it will grow to become quite large.
- Dig a hole slightly larger than the size of the root plug of your tree. For our tree seedlings the hole will be fairly small (about 1"- 2" wide and 3"- 4" deep).
- Place the root plug into the hole with the stem standing straight upright with the root collar at ground level.
- Fill in any large gaps between the root plug and the sides of the hole with soil.
- Carefully use your heel or toe to compact the soil around the root plug. Ensuring that the root plug is fully underground, the root collar is just visible, and the tree remains standing upright.
- Remember to give the tree a bit of water once you're done and during any prolonged dry spells for the first summer
Winter Tree Planting
The ground is frozen. What should I do with my seedling I just received?
This time of year the tree seedling you received is dormant. This means that it has shut down for the winter and is not actively growing. If you have winter weather now ( ground is frozen so impossible to plant), here are some suggestions to care for the seedlings until spring.
To hold the seedling for Spring planting: Carefully remove the plastic bag covering the roots
Follow indoor planting instructions.
- Choose a large container (at least 10" in diameter) with drainage holes in the bottom.
- Follow outdoor planting instructions, watering well.
- after initial watering, water only when dry.
in the Fall, place in a cool spot away from direct heat, to set dormancy until Spring.
It's getting very cold outside. Should I bring my seedling indoors?
Your seedling is "happiest" outdoors and requires 6 to 8 weeks of dormancy annually. By leaving it outdoors Mother Nature can provide just the right conditions for this to occur. If your seedling is in a pot and weather conditions are below zero, bring your seedling indoors. Potted tree seedlings do not have adequite insulation protecting the roots from freezing and ultimately killing them.
Your don't have to be a forester to plant a tree! Congratulations on helping our environment and planting a tree for a greener tomorrow.
Seed in Eco Box Kit Tip
The True Significance of Flowers
Uncover the hidden meanings behind colour and arrangement
Although you may think you can't go wrong by sending a loved one flowers, be warned: dangers do lurk!
Flowers, their glorious colours, and creative presentation all have specific traditional translations. Whether the person you want to spoil is your Soul Mate or your Mom, make sure your message is clear with the use of this quick floral reference guide.
Delivery: 10 -15 business days.
Please See Shipping & Policies page for:
Rush order, shipment information, minimum order quantities, samples.
Eco favours are unique gifts for special events in life. At Little Tree Big Tree Quality Goods we continue to take pride in the quality of our products and excellent customer service.
Seeds, tree seedlings and flower bulbs are inspected and tested for their purity and viability. It is iimportant to follow the directions when planting and store in a cool, dry place. Please contact us if you have any questions or are in need of suggestions.
Think of us for your next Special Event !